Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Long Run

First of all, let me say that this place is ridiculous. I am trying to think if there is such a concentration of talent in any field of human endeavor, athletic or otherwise, like the concentration of runners in Iten.  The ancient Greeks for mathematics and philosophy?  Silicon Valley for computer innovation?  There are fewer than a dozen runners in the United States who can run under 2:10 for the marathon.  There number in this village is probably around 100-200!  There are thousands of runners in town, and all of them are aspiring to be professionals.  There are almost no recreational runners here.  So everyone is good.  The longer I stay here, the more I am just blown away by the place.
Adharanand Finn, a British writer, assembled a group of runners to run the Lewa Marathon which is held in Kenya in June.  It is made up of five Kenyans: Chris, Japhat, Josphat, Shadrack, and Beatrice.  Saturday I went on a long run with this group.  It was a funny run: there were 5 white people  (Adharanand, Anders, Michelle, Jonathon, and me) and 4 Kenyans.  Beatrice showed up early and thought she’d missed us so she had already started her run.
Godfrey, who is coaching the Lewa group would follow in a vehicle to provide water, splits, and rides to those who dropped out early.  Adharanand’s family was in the vehicle as well.  Finding a vehicle is always a challenge.  Godfrey had arranged to borrow Isaac Songok’s truck.  Isaac has run 12:48 for 5k.  Godfrey himself is a retired world class runner, finishing 2nd at Bloomsday twice and running 60 minutes for a half marathon.
We met at 6:30 by the post office.  Godfrey briefed us: “Start easy, no racing.  Pick up the pace later.”  We started off at 8 or 9 minutes per mile.  Godfrey had to get gas for the truck.  He caught up to us about a kilometer later with Anders.  Anders was impressed with our punctuality.  He arrived at 6:31 and we were already gone.  Fortunately Godfrey was there with the truck.
We passed 5k in 23 minutes.  We were heading gradually downhill on a dirt road that parallels the main tarmac road to Eldoret.  Soon we turned left into a rolling section.  A U shaped collection of lovely roads took us back to the Eldoret road at 10k.  20 minutes for the 2nd 5k.  We headed off, on another dirt road, and although I had not noticed any increase in pace, I was breathing harder.  I would breathe easily on the gradual downs, but found myself breathing harder on every uphill.
Our third 5k was passed in 19 minutes.  Somewhere in this section the road turned up.  I was trying to stay with the group.  “Go Jeff!  Looking good,” Godfrey called.  It’s nice to hear encouragement from someone with such credibility.  In the group Chris was directing things, instructing different runners to set the pace.  I kept thinking that Chris was second at Boston twice and second at New York twice.  His stride looked so effortless.  Jonathon, who is an aspiring British 1500m runner looked over at me and said “it’s only 2 mzungus (white people) left.”
I hung on for about 3 more kilometers.  When I dropped off, I really faded.  I arrived at 20k having passed the third 5k in about 19 minutes, but I was easily a minute behind the group.  Surprisingly, Chris was there too.  “Just getting back into shape.  I ran 1:30 yesterday as well,” he said.
The truck had to pick up the others, so Chris and I jogged 2 more kilometers very slowly.  We were picked up and then I got to see the rest of the workout from the truck.  Jonathon had dropped off at almost 20k.  Josphat was slightly ahead, but had also dropped off the pace.  “Those guys are flying!” was all they could say.
We caught up to the final two: Japhat and Shadrack.  The last 8k of the run were mostly uphill, and those two looked magnificent.  They were easily running under 5 minute pace.  We handed them some water, and as they entered the town Godfrey hollered “looking great, last kilometer! Push! Push!”  Everyone in the truck was impressed as Shadrack and Japhat increased their pace even more.
Wow.  That’s how to do a long run.  They started at about 8 minute pace with a gradual increase to about 4:30 pace.  I’ve done a couple progression runs before, but it was something to participate in while I could and then witness.
Next week I’ll try to hang on to 25k.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jeff. Thanks for all your writing! Sounds truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete