Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Arrivals

We have two new people in our place in Iten: Isak and Paul Bergman.  Isak ran at Ellensburg High School and graduated in 2007; he is the school record holder in the 800m and 1600m.  I had heard that he was interested in getting back into training before I came to Kenya.  As soon as I arrived, I thought “Isak would love this place!”  A lengthy email exchange ensued, and last Friday Isak arrived here after two days of travel from Ellensburg.  Isak has been immersing himself in the running culture, meeting many runners and beginning his own training.  He is the ultimate friendly mzungu, taking the time to talk to everyone he sees.
Accompanying Isak is his uncle Paul.  I had met Paul once before when I stayed at his house before the Portland Marathon in 2007.  Paul is inquisitive and thoughtful; in the car ride from the airport he was already asking questions that I not only couldn’t answer, but hadn’t even thought to ask.
The first few days of a 10 hour time change are pretty rough, but Isak and Paul have been much more upbeat than I remember being!  Paul is here for two weeks, and Isak is here for four.  We’re looking forward to sharing many adventures together.

No comments:

Post a Comment